Listed companies, corporate governance and Capital Markets
Chiomenti has deep and extensive knowledge of the capital markets sector formed over the years in assisting issuers, underwriters and placing agents, as well as all the leading financial advisors, in major transactions, both Italian and cross-border, and in the most important corporate transactions and extraordinary financings involving listed companies.
The Firm has been involved in the stock exchange listings of the leading industrial and financial groups in the Italian market, also alongside large independent US firms for dual listings or international offerings, and in IPOs, private placements to institutional investors and secondary capital increases.
Chiomenti’s advice in this area covers both Equity and Debt Capital Markets, and draws on input from multi-disciplinary teams with experience in M&A and Finance as specifically applied to market transactions.
The Firm provides assistance in relation to public offers and equity listings (including capital increases), debt offers and listings, including convertible and equity‑linked, and private placements to institutional investors, executives and employees. More generally, it advises listed companies on market transparency and disclosure issues and corporate governance, including on regulations covering related party transactions, control and risk committees, strategic committees and boards of directors.
The Firm benefits from long‑standing and close working relationships with the relevant supervisory authorities and Italian and international market operating companies.
- Chiomenti has played a leading role in Italy’s various waves of privatization over the years.
- Alongside Italian and international leading financial players, Chiomenti has advised on the most important takeover offers (including share for share deals).
- Chiomenti has deep experience in cross-border deals, both through its close relationships with leading English and US law firms, and by virtue of its exclusive relationship with the other firms in its European Network.
- Relationships with capital markets supervisors and market operating companies are demonstrated by, inter alia, the firm’s assistance to Borsa Italiana on its merger with the London Stock Exchange, and from the participation of the Firm, as sole legal adviser nominated by CONSOB, in meetings with IMF representatives as part of the periodic assessment procedures conducted by the IMF and IOSCO on the Italian securities markets and the regime governing offers to the public.
- In the capital markets and corporate finance sector, the firm has developed innovative, state-of-the-art corporate, contractual and tax structures, such as, for equity capital markets, specific types of capital increases excluding pre‑emption rights, as well as for so‑called liability management transactions and the issue of debt or hybrid instruments.